He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger.... he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him, but only in patient stillness while his rider mounts him; he is indeed a horse, and all other jades you may call beasts. ~William Shakespeare, Henry V

Friday, August 12, 2005

MOVING GRANDMA

Thursday right before my doctors appointment my mother met my grandma, Cassie, and I in the parking lot and we traded vehicles so that she could take Cassie and grandma to my grandma's apartment in DL. Cassie and I spent the night in DL at my grandma's apartment because my dad had someone coming over to the house early Friday morning to help him with some stuff for his business. While I was at my grandma's apartment I helped her box up some stuff to get it ready to be taken over to the assisted living place that she is moving in to. Before we started boxing stuff up, my mom took us over there so that I could see the size of grandma's new suite. It's very small but quaint. It's 1/4 the size of the apartment that she has now and it's more that obvious that grandma will not be able to keep everything she has in her apartment now because it will not all fit at her new place. After my mom left for home and my grandma and I were still going through things to keep, give away, or toss, I tought of the sad reality of the situation and how hard it must be for my grandma. Everything you have in your home, you like and more than likely want it or you wouldn't have it. Now she has to get rid of 3/4 of her stuff and how do you pick and choose what to keep and what to get rid of? I am sure there is a lot of sentimental value in most of the things she has and there are things that don't have sentimental value but she really likes and wants to keep. I don't know if that is something that I could do. How do I go through my home and reduce all my possessions by more than half? That would be a really hard and difficult thing to have to do and I started to feel really bad about it as I tried to talk her out of taking certain items. I could tell at times that she was starting to get upset so I didn't push it to hard. I just help up stuff and asked if she wanted to keep it or get rid of it and I separated the stuff into two piles. The one pile can be taken to good will right away and the second pile my mom, aunt, and uncle will help my grandma go through ( who knows, there may even be stuff that they would like to have of grandma's too). I was very surprised though when she started going through her china cabinet. She has a beautiful collection of china, I believe is serves 12 and there were a lot of pieces and as we were taking the china out she told me to go ahead and take 6 settings for myself. So now I have half of my grandma's china which I am greatfull to have but feel bad because of the circumstances of how I received it. We were able to get a few boxes of things over to the new place but there is still MANY more things to go, what we did take hardly made a dent in her current apartment and I am sure it's going to get tougher for grandma as more things will have to go. I wish there was a way to make this more positive for her then negative but I don't think that can be done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


Music Video Code provided by Music Video Zone