He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger.... he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him, but only in patient stillness while his rider mounts him; he is indeed a horse, and all other jades you may call beasts. ~William Shakespeare, Henry V

Sunday, August 07, 2005

NOT YOUR AVERAGE FRIDAY

At 9 am I left my parents house to take my grandma to the hairdresser to have her hair and nails done for my cousin's wedding at 6 pm up in St. John, ND. My mom called my grandma before I left to make sure that she was awake and was going to be ready when I got there. While they were on the phone, grandma told my mom that he blood sugar was high (over 300) but mom told her not to have the juice with breakfast and she would be fine. I dropped grandma off at her hair place, then I did some running around of my own and then I went to the Liquid Bean to get some coffee and then back over to see how grandma was doing. She was just starting her manicure so I sat and talked with her until we were ready to go. When I got grandma back to her apartment it was close to noon and I had to get myself back home to get myself and Cassie ready for the wedding. I still even had to shower and pack the diaper bag. I got some stuff out for grandma to snack on and just for the hell of it I checked her paper that has her blood sugar count on it and when I read it and just about died. I called my mom right away and told her that grandma's sugar count was not 300 it was 548. Mom told me to take her blood sugar again before she ate anything, I did, and it had dropped to 423. Obviously my grandmother has been forgetting to take her insulin shot at night and now her blood sugars are all messed up again. Mom told me she was going to call the doctor and get some insulin that we could give her right away. Mom called me back and told me where to pick the insulin up and she also told me how much to draw up and make sure that grandma took it. It took for ever for my grandma to find her extra syringes but she did find one and she did take the insulin. She was starting to see things and even thought there was someone in my vehicle parked in front of her place. I told her 100 times nobody was there and she started to get really mad because in her mind, there was someone in there. I had to explain to her that she saw a tree and part of the neighbors house through the drivers side window across the street and it was the tree that was moving in the wind, not a person. I still don't think she believed me but it was after 1 pm and I had to go. As I was walking out of the apartment my aunt, her husband, and children were just pulling up. My mom had called her to let her know what was going on this morning so I filled my aunt in quickly and I gave her the cell phone number of grandma's doctor because someone was supposed to call him back at 2 pm with grandma's blood sugar level after the insulin had time to take effect. I got home at about 2. My mom and sister had put Cassie down for a nap while I was gone and Cassie was still sleeping so I took my shower really fast, got dressed, packed the diaper bag then it wasn't too long and Cassie got up. I gave Cassie a snack, got her dressed and it was time to take off. The wedding was great. We had so much fun and little Cassie danced to every song played at the reception and I let her dance until about a quarter after 11 and then we took off. My aunt and uncle were in full control of my grandma so I hope she wasn't to spacey or moody for them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


Music Video Code provided by Music Video Zone