He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger.... he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him, but only in patient stillness while his rider mounts him; he is indeed a horse, and all other jades you may call beasts. ~William Shakespeare, Henry V

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

ULTRASOUND

Cassie and I got up at 9 am and we were both just sitting down for breakfast when the telephone rang. It was Amy from the lab at the Cando Hospital asking if I could be up there in 45 minutes for my ultrasound.....uuuhhhmmm, NO! I explained that we were still in pajamas, just eating breakfast, I had yet to pack her diaper bag for the sitters, we needed to get dressed then I had to drop her off at the sitters. Amy then said that the tech doing the ultra sound wouldn't be there for another hour and fifteen minutes and wondered if that would be enough time! I told her that I couldn't promise but I could try, Amy then asked if it was inconvenient for me we could reschedule for another day. I said that I didn't want to reschedule so she just said to come as soon as I could and they would try and keep the tech busy. I got there and they did a standard ultrasound (transabdominal). I don't think that they found anything too specific or exciting because then they did a transvaginal ultrasound and it's just as horrible as it sounds. I had never heard of one before and they go through the vagina to get a better view of the ovaries and uterus. So they let me go to the bathroom to empty my bladder, then I had to undress from the waist down, when I lay down again on the table the tech pulls out this probe about the length of a ruler, slips a condom over it and I had to insert it in by myself. This was so embarrassing and the transvaginal ultrasound hurt bad. The tech pushed hard in each direction that I thought the probe was going to come ripping through my abdomen and I am still sore from it. I would never want anyone I know to go through it. I think I was there for about thirty five minutes and then I was able to leave. The tech said that my doctor should have the results tomorrow. I work tomorrow so I hope they leave a message on my answering machine, if they don't, I hope they call Friday but it's hard to tell if they will since it's Good Friday. Whatever the news is, hopefully it isn't bad. I just couldn't believe it though that they didn't give me a twenty four hour notice and just expected me to come up there at the drop of a hat. I did speak to someone at the clinic about it and about three hours after I got home, Amy called again and said that she had a meeting with the Administrator of the clinic and I apparently hadn't been the only one to complain about how the ultrasounds were scheduled and she wanted my info on how to make the scheduling easier. I told her that a twenty four hour notice would be nice and if they couldn't do a twenty four hour notice to at least give us a few hours so we can get shit together.

1 Comments:

  • At March 23, 2005 at 10:05 PM, Blogger April said…

    OH MY GOD! That sounds horrible and invasive! You just gotta keep in mind that they do this everyday, and that it's normal medical practice, but still. It probably sucked even more because you didn't have any time to prepare, they just called you and an hour later you're sitting in a cold doctors office, half naked, with this person telling you to insert this nasty looking thing in you YOURSELF. I feel really bad for you, but hopefully they'll be able to tell you what the hell is wrong with you. Hopefully it isn't anything serious.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


Music Video Code provided by Music Video Zone