He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger.... he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him, but only in patient stillness while his rider mounts him; he is indeed a horse, and all other jades you may call beasts. ~William Shakespeare, Henry V

Sunday, December 20, 2009

MY SATURDAY E.R. VISIT

I was looking forward to the weekend on Friday. The Ex had picked up the girls for the weekend and I didn't have to work too early in the morning...which meant, this mother was going to get some well deserved sleeping in time. I jumped into bed around 9 o'clock (pretty sad for a Friday night, I know) and was excited for all the sleep I was going to get. I passed out five minutes after my head ht the pillow.

Around 2 o'clock in the morning, I was awakened by a bad itching feeling that went from head-to-toe. Not giving the itching a second thought, I scratched the hell out of myself and fell back asleep. Twenty minutes after I fell asleep, I awoke to more itching. This patterned repeated all through the night and into the early morning. At 7 o'clock in the morning, I had enough of all the itching, so I headed to the shower thinking it would help. I got to the bathroom, peeled out of my clothes, and then turned on the bathroom light...and that's when I got my first look at myself.

To put it mildly, I was hideous. If you ask my mother, she will tell you I looked like the Elephant Man. I had a complete body rash that went from the top of my head down to my feet. My eyes were so puffy, you would have sworn there were cotton balls under my eyelids. The rash was so terrible that I had it on the palms of my hands, in my arm pits, along my butt, and even between my toes. After getting over from being in awe of myself, I jumped in the shower. Big mistake. When the hot water hit my skin, it felt like the worlds worst sunburn standing 7 feet from the sun. After finishing my shower, I got light headed. I got out of the shower and went back to my bed and laid down. When I hit my bed, my ears got super sensitive and I could hear air moving around my bedroom....and the furnace wasn't running. When I could hear the air moving in the house, I knew I was in trouble, so I called my mom and told her she had to take me to the Devils Lake Emergency Room.

The ER doctor took at look at my stomach and said, "Oh my"...not a good thing you want to hear your doctor say...and continued inspecting my rash. I had a fever and my throat was red, but it wasn't sore. After I was completely checked out, the doctor said that I had a strep rash...which is like the Scarlett fever of strep throat. I have never heard of this in my life, but I guess when some people have strep throat they can break out in a terrible, hideous, monster looking rash. All the antibiotics that I was taking for 3 weeks made me feel better and took away all the symptoms of my strep, but it never really went away and I have been carrying it with me all this time. Of all the luck, instead of getting a sore throat again, it came back as a nasty ass rash!!! I got two more butt injections in the ER (this makes butt shots 3 and 4 for those of you keeping count). One was a long lasting antibiotic that doesn't need any pill follow up, and another prednisolone shot. I also got prescriptions for prednisolone tablets and Benadryl. Right now, my medicine cabinet looks a miniature pharmacy. I have everything in there that anyone could possibly need.

So, after getting out of the ER, mom bought me a Milky Way coffee at The Coffee Connection and we picked up food at McDonald's. I told mom if she wanted to go shopping, that was fine with me, but I was not getting out of the Jeep and walking around in public while I had the rash. She just laughed at me and understood. After all, she did call me the Elephant Man...When we got to mom's house, I stayed at her place and helped her wrap all the Christmas gifts. Around 8 o'clock on Saturday night, I left my mom's place and went home to sleep. I fell asleep shortly after getting home and stayed soundly asleep all night long. It was wonderful.

Today, I still have some signs of the rash. I have some light pinkish marks on my face, stomach, and along my legs, but they are not near as bright as they used to be. I hope tomorrow there will be no signs of the rash at all!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


Music Video Code provided by Music Video Zone