He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger.... he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him, but only in patient stillness while his rider mounts him; he is indeed a horse, and all other jades you may call beasts. ~William Shakespeare, Henry V

Wednesday, December 09, 2009

CUSTOMER SERVICE

I have worked a lot of customer service jobs over the years, and when you work in customer service, there are people out there that never fail to let you down on how retarded some of the human race can be. Now, I am not calling myself super smart or anything, but I do have common sense. A great perk about my job is that I get to work from a home computer set up at my parents house. The downside is that it's fast-food. I'm not going to complain. At least it's a job that I can do in my pajama's if I want too. But, some of these people really make me laugh and annoy me at the same time.

I had a lady today ask me, after I took her order, if she should pay me or pay the person at the window. Seriously?! You have no idea how badly I wanted to tell her to go ahead and try cramming her money into the slots in the speaker post. I would have paid to watch that. Another woman got irritated when she asked for a plan cheeseburger with no cheese and I put a plain hamburger on her order. She specifically demanded a cheeseburger with no cheese. I hope she realised when she got home that she just ordered an expensive hamburger. A majority of the customers also have this habit of placing their orders and then screaming, "I want my order to go!" Yes sir, however you are in the drive-thru, are you not? What scares me the most about these people is that 99% of them are ordering Happy Meals for the children screaming in their cars, so you know they are reproducing!

After these two orders, I remembered a call I took when I handled customer service for The Sharper Image catalog. A woman called because a bathroom radio/CD player she purchased was not working correctly after a few weeks of having the item. After what felt like an hour of going over the item with her, she told me she had a little bar that kept blinking right before the radio/CD player shut off. I took my glasses off and hung my head. I politely explained to her that was the battery power display. She had low batteries and they needed to be changed. She was adamant that she had good batteries in the unit. She had a package of Energizer batteries with an expiration date of 12/12 on the package so she knew the batteries weren't dead. At this point, I banged my head on my desk and I had to explain to her that the date she was reading on the package of her batteries was the shelf life of the batteries. It didn't mean that the batteries were going to keep working until 12/12. She got a little upset and was pretty sure I was incorrect about what I was talking about. Miraculously, I talked her into changing the batteries and was surprised when the unit worked. She started to ask me date questions about the batteries, and I told her as calmly as I could, that she would have to direct those questions to Energizer, not me. By far, this has been my favorite customer service call yet. My heart goes out to the Energizer customer service representative that woman spoke to.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


Music Video Code provided by Music Video Zone