He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger.... he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him, but only in patient stillness while his rider mounts him; he is indeed a horse, and all other jades you may call beasts. ~William Shakespeare, Henry V

Friday, October 30, 2009

IT'S NAVICULAR

The vet confirmed navicular is the source of Luna's problem. The vet said that she is technically now a retired horse. It is not recommended that she carry anything heavier than 90 lbs., so Luna is a strictly kids-only horse. She will no longer be able to go for 10 mile rides. The vet said that Luna can no longer run, and that I don't even trot her, just keep her at a slow and steady walk. I cannot bred her because her leg will not be able to support the weight of a pregnant belly.

When Luna is ridden, the vet suggested a special boot that helps supports and cushions the leg. She also prescribed ButePaste, which is an anti-inflammatory, which should also help. I have to give the ButePaste to Luna 2 times a day for 3 days before she is ridden. I am going to check online to see what types of boots are available and how expensive they are.

I am glad that the news wasn't too grave. However, I am disappointed that I can no longer ride my horse, but the girls will still be able to, and that makes me feel better about it. My horse has given me many years of wonderful experiences, and now it's my girls turn to enjoy that.

I guess there was a good reason why I received Mack as a gift. Someone up above knew I would be needing him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


Music Video Code provided by Music Video Zone