He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger.... he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him, but only in patient stillness while his rider mounts him; he is indeed a horse, and all other jades you may call beasts. ~William Shakespeare, Henry V

Thursday, November 12, 2009

STREP THROAT

Tuesday morning I woke up with a sore throat. It wasn't bad, so I didn't think too much of it. That even, after the girls were in bed, around 10:30 I starting getting a fever, my body was extremely achy, and I was fighting chills and sweating spells all night. When I woke up yesterday, my throat hurt so bad I didn't even want to talk, my ears were burning, and I still had a fever. I decided to make an appointment to go see a doctor, because I thought it was an ear infection.

I saw the doctor and he said my ears were good, but he was very concerned about my throat. He took swab samples and sent them to the lab. When my lab results came back, they were positive for strep throat. He put me on penicillin and also a Nystatin mouth wash to help fight the bacteria. He also wrote me a note to fax to my job. No customer service work for me until at least Tuesday.

My mom called last night and said she would take the day off of work, and she would come over in the morning, get Cassidy ready for school and take her to the school, and she would take Jessie home with her so I could get as much rest as I possibly could. I sent her home with pajama's and an extra change of clothing just in case mom decided to keep them over night.

I love my mom. She is such a blessing to have. I got an email from a friend of mine who just got over strep about a month ago. She said that Mucinex really worked for her throat and had less irritation with it. After getting her email, I called my mom to see if she and Jessie were going to go to town today, and asked her if she could pick up some Mucinex for me so I could try it. When she arrived at my house, not only did she have the Mucinex, but she also had a large Milky Way coffee drink from The Coffee Connection for me. A short while after my mom left, another friend came by the house and threw a box of Chloraseptic throat lozenges in my front door and left right away. After I finish my coffee, I am going to try a lozenge. Hopefully that will help some too.

I have been sleeping all day, and I must say all the sleep has made me feel good so far. I just want the pain in my throat to be gone, or at least subside a little bit, and I will be feeling well. I have no idea how I caught strep throat. Nobody I know has been sick, and when I have been hanging around my friends they have all seemed to be very healthy. I just hope neither of my two girls catch it from me.

4 Comments:

  • At November 14, 2009 at 12:40 PM, Anonymous Amanda said…

    The thing about strep throat is that healthy people can carry the bacteria and never get infected--for some reason they are immune to it, it just lives happily within them and never causes them a problem. They can give it to people that are susceptible to strep infection though so you could have picked it up anywhere. I hope you feel better soon, make sure that you get it completely cleared up cuz it can cause even bigger problems if you only almost get over and don't see a doctor about it cuz you start feeling better. Strep throat is really not fun and you have my sympathies! get some rest :)

     
  • At November 14, 2009 at 8:38 PM, Blogger Janelle said…

    Thank you very much, Amanda. I am starting to feel better, but I still have a sore throat and I have a huge lump on the right side of my neck.

     
  • At November 15, 2009 at 2:15 PM, Anonymous Amanda said…

    prolly just a swollen lymph node...I wouldn't be too concerned:) My nodes swell up to golf ball size when I get sick..it's adding insult to injury:)

     
  • At November 16, 2009 at 9:45 AM, Blogger Janelle said…

    No kidding!! I feel heckled by a higher power right now.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


Music Video Code provided by Music Video Zone