He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger.... he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him, but only in patient stillness while his rider mounts him; he is indeed a horse, and all other jades you may call beasts. ~William Shakespeare, Henry V

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

A LOT TO TALK ABOUT

On Saturday we decided to go to Manvel for my uncle’s son’s first birthday party. We did not know it at the time, but this was a big mistake. When I woke up at 8 it was snowing lightly. When we left my mother’s place in Leeds to go to Devils Lake to pick up my grandmother, the snow was coming down in huge wet flakes. The roads were good and we had great driving until about the last five miles of the trip to Manvel.

The birthday party was nice and everyone had fun. About a half hour before we left Manvel it started to rain. It was not a light rain either. There were big drops coming down fast and if it had been the middle of summer instead of winter it would have soaked a person in seconds. The drive home from Manvel was terrible. The rain had turned to snow and it was gathering quickly. I could not see the road so I drove in what I believe was the middle of the road. Instead of taking the short way home, I decided to go south and head for highway 2. I knew there would be traffic and I could follow someone. Plus, it was getting dark and I did not want to be on the back roads in the middle of now where in a snow storm. Highway 2 was full of snow. We pushed snow with the bottom of the car all the way home. Half way through the trip I had enough and let my mother drive. Thank goodness there was a little traffic or we would have been in big trouble. At least we could follow in the tracts of the vehicles ahead of us. You could not see anything at all.

This trip usually is only about an hour and fifteen minutes from Devils Lake to Manvel. Saturday night it took us 4 hours just to reach Devils Lake on the way back. After we dropped off my grandma it was another hour and a half to get to Leeds. We are never going to do that again unless we know for sure there is not going to be any snow or precipitation what so ever.

I was able to make it home and got the girls in bed right away. I was tired from the extremely long car ride so I went directly to bed as well. At 2 in the morning I got a phone call from Darren. He was stranded out by Balta. He was on his way home and his truck just died on him and he could not get it started. Thankfully, a customer from his route was returning home from the bar and stopped when he saw Darren. He took Darren to his house were Darren was able to spend the night.

Sunday I called my father. My father took his car trailer down to Balta to pick up Darren and his truck. They brought the truck back and were able to store it in the Larson Implement shop in Leeds. My dad and Darren thought it was just iced up and needed time to thaw out. On Monday, my dad and the owner of Larson’s Implement went into the shop to see if the truck would start. It didn’t. They tried a lot of things but it refused to start. Darren was upset because he was going to have to take the car to work and was worried because then would not have a vehicle if there was an emergency or if I needed to take the girls anywhere. Darren phoned his boss and made arrangements so he could stay home and work on his truck on Tuesday. Darren left early Tuesday to go work on his truck. Turns out the distributor got wet and a couple of parts didn’t look so good. Larson’s just happened to have the parts so Darren purchased them and exchanged them in his truck. The truck started right up and has been running great since. Knock on wood.

Last night C-Span replayed President Fords funeral. My father called to see if I could tape it for him. I broke our VCR before Christmas when it fell from the entertainment center. The girls got a DVD/VCR player from my mom and dad for Christmas to be used in their toy room and I had not gotten around to hooking it up yet. I scrambled like crazy, but for some dumb reason I could not get it working. It wasn’t until the services were almost over that I finally got it working after I disconnected everything from the TV and just had the DVD/VCR player connected to it. At midnight, C-Span again played the president lying at the capitol, the service at the cathedral, and then the memorial at Grand Rapids MI commercial free. The entire thing went until 4 or 5 in the morning so I waiting for it to start, hit record, and then went to bed and just let the machine record all night long. I haven’t checked the tape today. I hope it turned out.

New Year’s was not that exciting. After the girls went to bed, Darren and I watched the countdown Live from Las Vegas on VH1. They had a lot of good bands and they counted down all the time zone New Years. Not only did we see the ball drop in NY, but also in Denver CO, Houston TX, and Las Vegas of course. There were a couple of other one’s too but I forgot where they were.

Today is a beautiful day. It is warm out and the snow is melting a bit. The girls and I are going to head over to my mom’s when she gets home so I can give her the Ford tape and I think Cassie and I will go out and make a snowman if Nana is willing to watch Jessie while we do it. I don’t expect that to be a problem at all.

I have pictures of Christmas and the birthday party but for some reason it takes 45 minutes to post a picture since I switched over to the new blogger. I am going to post the pics when I get to my mom’s so I can use her DSL.

That’s all for now folks!

1 Comments:

  • At January 3, 2007 at 11:18 PM, Blogger tlawwife said…

    I can imagine how tired you were. It is stressful driving in bad weather and with kids in the car it is that much worse. I am so glad you made it home safely and that someone cleaned your drive.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


Music Video Code provided by Music Video Zone