He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger.... he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him, but only in patient stillness while his rider mounts him; he is indeed a horse, and all other jades you may call beasts. ~William Shakespeare, Henry V

Sunday, November 11, 2007

CLINTON'S WELFARE REFORM ACT MAY HAVE JUST KICKED MY BUTT

So here is the low down on my TANF appointment.

I would be on what is called Diversion Assistance. This provides short-term help to families to assist them in becoming or remaining self-sufficient. Diversion Assistance is provided to families for up to 4 months within a 12 month period, while enabling individuals to clear up problems that might push them further into poverty. I will be required to participate in the Pathways to Work (PTW) program. The goal of the PTW program is to help reduce barriers to employment, prepare for and obtain paid employment.

If I need assistance beyond the first 4-month period, I then will have to reapply for Transition Assistance. This promotes job retention by providing an extended period of cash assistance to qualified TANF households. TANF households with earnings from employment exceeding the allowable standard of need for their household size may remain eligible for TANF up to 6 month. Transition Assistance provides a safety net of financial support during this six-month period to assist households in attaining self-sufficiency; thereby eliminating the need for future government benefits.

I have an interview setup on Tuesday at 3 p.m. to meet with Job Service about my employability. I was warned by my social service worker that JOBS doesn't like "higher education" opposed to employability. In fact, they don't even promote higher education. JOBS wants people working, so she doesn't know exactly what they are going to do in my situation. Isn't the purpose of getting a college education is to better ones self??? This is a problem because I cannot be expected to pay daycare, gas for a 30+ mile trip, all my bills, focus on a full-time college schedule, and pay my student loans once they kick in with a full-time minimum wage job. I have also come so far with my college that I am not going to throw it away just to work a minimum wage job just to get TANF. I am only six months away from graduation! I don't want to cut back on my college courses either because the more I extend them out, the more money I am going to end up taking out per semester.

So.....I am expecting issues to arise at my JOBS appointment. I am not sure if jumping through all the hoops are worth the TANF.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


Music Video Code provided by Music Video Zone