He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger.... he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him, but only in patient stillness while his rider mounts him; he is indeed a horse, and all other jades you may call beasts. ~William Shakespeare, Henry V

Thursday, April 07, 2005

NOT READY FOR A STALLION

I was outside with Cassie today and I noticed that Tango was chasing my mares around the pasture and he would bite and nip at them. He was being a real pain in the ass and both the mares were kicking back at him and Tango just wouldn't stop. Tango ran up to the fence and let me pet him but he tried to bite me twice. Each time he tried, I snapped his nose and he jumped back but it didn't really scare him or hurt his pride too much because he kept coming back up to the fence to be pet. When I was walking away, I noticed him running up to my big mare and he tried to mount her. He's not quite a year old but I think he is coming to maturity and he is starting to become a dominant stallion. I don't want that to happen because I want to geld him and use him for a riding horse instead. I am going to have to make an appointment with the vet and see what she thinks and I may have to have him gelded soon. If he isn't gelded and he breds my mare then it's going to be hell working with him because even though he will be gelded he will know that he is a stallion and will keep that temperment and he will be a pain in the ass to control and I don't want to keep him if that happens because he will be too much for me. I need to pick up medicine for my mare on Saturday at the vet office before noon so I think I will talk to the vet about Tango then too. It's going to cost around $175 for the surgery and I don't have that money right now so I may have to have my mom pitch in for it since he is her horse anyway.

2 Comments:

  • At April 7, 2005 at 11:29 PM, Blogger April said…

    Does Gelded mean like... steralized or 'fized' cause if it doesn't then I totally don't understand your whole post! All those horse terms... what do you think we all are? COWGIRLS like you?! :)

     
  • At April 10, 2005 at 11:25 AM, Blogger Janelle said…

    Yes, gelded means that we removeds his testicles. That is the differnece between and stallion and a gelding. The gelding doesn't have balls and can't knock up my mares.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


Music Video Code provided by Music Video Zone