He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger.... he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him, but only in patient stillness while his rider mounts him; he is indeed a horse, and all other jades you may call beasts. ~William Shakespeare, Henry V

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

So I took Cassie over to my mom's so I could work this evening. When I got done with work and went to pick her up, my mom and dad were watching TV. Cassie was running back and forth through the living room while making a loud humming sound and you could tell she was just doing it for fun. Cassie doesn't like her snowsuit much anymore and she hollers when you try and put her in it. So my dad started watching "Smokey and the Bandit" and Cassie started to crab when I was putting her boots on. My dad told me to wait until a commercial came on because he was watching the show. It was late, I had be up at 7am in the morning, I had a bedroom to clean, dishes to wash, toys to put away when I got home and I didn't want to wait so I thought about holding on because the show had been running for a while and I knew a commercial was coming up shortly. Then, right before it went to commercial, my dad switched the channel to American Idol that just came back from commerical. I thought "piss on this" and I started putting her boots on anyway because she would fuss for 3 minutes and we would be done. My dad got pissed and hollered at me, said "Can't you wait a God damn five minutes so I can watch my show!" I told him it was nine, I was tired and I had to get home but it wasn't a good enough excuse, he just said "But you can wait five fricken minutes so I can hear what's going on". I got mad at him and I just grabbed Cassie of the couch, picked up her diaper bag, mom gave me her blanket and I just walked out without saying anything and I put her boots on when I got to the car. I am sooooo fustrated with him. He has no patients for the littlest of things and it just seems that since I had Cassie we have just been in the way. Nothing we can do makes him happy and whatever Cassie does, doesn't matter what it is, if she does it longer than 3.5 seconds he gets upset with her. So needless to say, my dishes aren't going to be washed tonight, the toys will be pushed to clear a path through the living room, and I just might finish the bedroom if I think it's even worth it.

4 Comments:

  • At February 17, 2005 at 9:48 PM, Blogger Josie, group organizer said…

    I know this probably isn't going to help but realize his problems aren't with you. I know it seems that way on the surface but I bet anything he has some deep rooted anger or control issues that are stemming from somewhere else and he's taking it out on you. Switching the channel to another show after a few minutes and then getting angry has no logical sense in it. I'm not sure what he believes but he seems to be more of a traditional guy in the sense that the woman does the child rearing/housecleaning while catering to her husband and maybe your role as a mother and how you act towards him challenges his views. He doesn't seem very open minded and seems very "defensive" to any change in his surroundings. I think the physical changes have a lot more to do with certain emotional changes he's gone through. What those are I could not say. I don't know the history of your father. Just remember the generation gap and realize that this is an understanding of why he's doing what he is, not a justification, and that he's wrong. I think the worst thing you could do is cater to his every whim.

     
  • At February 17, 2005 at 9:52 PM, Blogger Josie, group organizer said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At February 17, 2005 at 9:52 PM, Blogger Josie, group organizer said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At February 18, 2005 at 2:16 AM, Blogger Josie, group organizer said…

    I have no idea why that posted 3 times but I tried to delete two of them. Hopefully it works.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


Music Video Code provided by Music Video Zone