He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger.... he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him, but only in patient stillness while his rider mounts him; he is indeed a horse, and all other jades you may call beasts. ~William Shakespeare, Henry V

Monday, August 15, 2005

HORSE WORK

I had to run around the fence at my parent's place the other day because my mom's older horse has been pushing on the fence so we decided that it was time to put electricity through it to stop the horse from beating up the fence. I walked around the fence to make sure there wasn't any grass or anything against the fence to ground it out and my dad fixed a corner post that had some extra wire that was causing some grounding and after that was all fixed our electric fence was up and working. I don't think the fence was charged for more than 3 minutes and my mom's mare came up and leaned into the fence. I could hear the snap of the fence when she touched it, the mare jumped back, stared at the fence for a few minutes and has been very careful around it since then. I know that this might sound cruel to some people but it's actually not. We are not cruel to our animals, we try to give them as much freedom as we can and many of my friends can tell you that my horses are actually really spoiled and are closer to big dogs than horses. Since we have the electric fence going I want to try and get Tango over here now since he has been gelded and weaned. I think after three months of being by himself that he is ready for company again. He's young so I am going to have to really watch him for a couple of days after we bring him over. The younger horses curiosity takes over when they are in new places and they have a habit of getting into more trouble faster than the other horses do. If Tango ever got out or caused problems for my parents, all the horses would be back at my place fast and I want to keep them at my parents as long as I can because they have good pasture grass.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


Music Video Code provided by Music Video Zone