He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger.... he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him, but only in patient stillness while his rider mounts him; he is indeed a horse, and all other jades you may call beasts. ~William Shakespeare, Henry V

Monday, July 11, 2005

TORNADO

Darren got home really early Saturday night, however, since it was so hot outside Cassie and I spent the night at my parents. Darren totally understood cause Cassie and I just can't stay in a house that hot. Darren came over to my parents house around 11 the next morning and he brought over his uniforms for me to wash. I put Cassie down for a nap around 1 pm and Darren and I relaxed and talked for two hours until Cassie got up. We all headed to Rugby to eat. We met up with Darren's cousin and his girlfriend and we all went over to Bob's Pizza Inn to eat. We hung out there for a while and then went over to the girlfriends house. We were going to stay for a little bit but the sky was really dark and there was thunder so we decided to head for home since we weren't sure what the weather was going to do. When we got into the truck, we noticed on Darren's cell that we missed a call from Mike, I called Mike back and he was listening to the radio and heard that there was a tornado in Benson county (where we live) and wanted to know if we were ok. I told him we were in Rugby and weren't aware of the tornado. On the way home we ran into some heavy rain and when we got home, the sky was almost an aqua green color, so much lightening that the sky was almost constantly lit by it, we started to get heavy rain and the wind really picked up. Not long after we got in the door my dad called and said there was a tornado 3 miles north of Harvey moving NE and to stay where we were until the storm lightened up. We started to get more lightening and it started to hail, and the thunder was almost deafening. We turned on our radio to hear that there was a tornado moving towards Esmond and Maddock then the power went out. It didn't stay out for long and when we turned the radio back on the weather guy said that the tornado was just 5 miles S of Leeds. I started to worry about my folks cause they live on the S side of town. I called my dad and he said they got a few pieces of golf ball sized hail but not many but the wind was terrible and it even blew a part of roof off a little building in his yard. He also said that the horses started to get worried, he was watching them race around the pasture looking for some safety so I am sure they knew that they were in some really bad weather. After things lightened up a bit Cassie and I went back over to my parents to sleep because even after the storm it was still 86 degrees outside. Darren didn't come over and I was bummed about that cause we only spent about 10 hours together but I can understand with being away from home all week and he would want to stay in his own bed. I miss him and I can't wait till he comes home Friday night. I hope that everyone else did okay in the storm.

2 Comments:

  • At July 12, 2005 at 1:41 PM, Blogger KSoFM said…

    that's some serious weather. how often do you get tornados? is there, like, a tornado season or do they perty much come year round. I've learned so much about the dakota territories since reading your, and your friends' blogs. what a large and topographically diverse place the US is. it's like 7 (or more) countries in 1. i've never experienced anything like tornados, prarie dogs and the wood tick.

     
  • At July 13, 2005 at 7:45 PM, Blogger April said…

    Tornados suck. Fortunately they only happen when the weather is just right... it has to be muggy and hot then a low front moves in with some cold air and they clash and then there you have it... funnel clouds are super scary too. Unfortunately the weather has been just right for a tornado at least once a week lately. It's only in the summer months that they can form. In the winter we have nasty blizzards and -40 degree weather. Just wait till we post pics of our winters... then you'll really be glad you live in a warmer place!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


Music Video Code provided by Music Video Zone