He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger.... he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him, but only in patient stillness while his rider mounts him; he is indeed a horse, and all other jades you may call beasts. ~William Shakespeare, Henry V

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

I WOULDN'T MIND IF THE WIC LADY DIED

I was chatting with Brandi on MSN today until about noon. Around a quarter after twelve, Marie Williams from Lake Region WIC called me and asked if I still planned to come to my WIC appointment that was at noon because Cassie had to be recertified today. I had totally forgot about it, but that is what happeneds when WIC comes to Leeds after not being there for three months and not sending out any reminders. Again we run into the case of "hey, mom's since you don't have anything better to do you can remember your WIC appointment" and Marie was actually pretty rude during the call.

I told Marie that I could leave right away and I would get there at 12:30. Then she hums and haws about it cause she has another client coming in then and if that other client got there before me then I would have to wait. I told Marie that was fine but Cassie is on a good schedule and she takes a nap at 1:30 so if I don't get in by then I would have to take Cassie home for her nap. Well then Marie says that she can call her other client and see if they don't mind coming in at one which will give us time for the appointment. I said OK and headed out the door.

I get to WIC and take off Cassie's coat and the first thing out of Marie's mouth is "Oh, she's in a t-shirt! Brrrr!!" At the same time, I took a zip up hooded sweatshirt and started putting it on Cassie. Then Marie says, "Oh you have a sweatshirt. Good." I looked at Marie directly and said, "I wouldn't put her in just a t-shirt in winter." And then Marie smiled and laughed a little as she said "Oh, I thought you just kept it really warm in your house." I have been in no mood lately to put up with crap, especially when it was coming from Marie so again I stared at her and said "fuel prices aren't that nice".

I think she got the point I wasn't there to chit-chat with her after how rude she was when she called me because she shut up. She asked me to bring Cassie over to be weighted and measured. I saw her turn on this little machine that reads hemoglobin. Now, there was no way in hell I was going to let her poke Cassie after I saw her try to get the hemoglobin from Billy's son AJ about five months ago. I sat down in a chair away from the table that the machine was on and Marie said "I need you and Cassidy to sit right here." I asked her "for what?" and then she got really snotty and said "You need to sit right here." again I asked her what for and she said she had to get Cassie's hemoglobin. Marie isn't an RN, LPN, or even a CNA so I never let her do that to Cassie unless someone medically trained is there. I told her in the same tone of voice that she gave me that Cassie had her two year check up in October and they took her hemoglobin and I wasn't going to do it at my WIC appointment. I told her what it was and she wrote it down.

Then I get home, I am all fustrated because of how Marie acted just because I forgot about the appointment, I put Cassie down for her nap and I started to work on a few pages of Cassie's scrapbook to calm down and relax before Head Start came over. Then the phone rings at 2:30. It's Marie, she forgot to give me January's WIC checks and also forgot to setup an appointment for February and she says it all nice and polite like there wasn't anything wrong with HER forgetting anything. I told her to mail the checks because I wasn't going back into town to get them since Cassie was sleeping and I told her that I will be having Baby & I starting on the 18th of January and Baby & I goes from noon until two so anytime before or around 11 would work. Well she says she has a twelve o'clock and a twelve forty five open. I was about ready to blow up and say "DON'T YOU LISTEN TO ANYONE!" but I didn't. I just repeated that I was busy from noon until two and wouldn't be back in Leeds until after 3. "Oh, yeah, you have Baby & I from noon until two, I forgot" is what she said. I swear she made that phone call just to piss me off more.

Marie said I would have to bring the baby and Cassie into the next appointment because we are going to have to recertify Cassie for the program. "Wait a minute. Didn't we just do that today." I said. "Do what" was her response. "Recert Cassie, didn't we just do that today!" Marie was quiet for a bit and then said "oh, yes, we did so you aren't going to have to bring her to the next appointment then if you don't want to." Oh my God! If I was in my car at that moment and if I saw her crossing the street, I swear I would have run her over not even giving a crap about the consequences. I made and appointment for 11 and hung up.

I am starting to hate WIC. Well, not WIC it's self, but the woman we have here is just rude, mean, and just forgetful as we are but it's okay for her to forget but not us. I am thinking about writing a letter to someone but I don't know who. I would like a different WIC lady.

4 Comments:

  • At December 7, 2005 at 11:34 PM, Blogger Karissa (mommy) said…

    Wow! That would piss me off too. I can't understand why people act that way. And about the t-shirt thing, what's the big deal if she was just wearing a t-shirt? Do people now wear t-shirts in winter or something?

     
  • At December 8, 2005 at 8:38 AM, Blogger KSoFM said…

    yeah, that was annoying. i can see why Marie had you at wits end. what is WIC?

     
  • At December 8, 2005 at 9:07 AM, Blogger Janelle said…

    WIC stands for Women, Infants, and Children. It's a progam ran by the government to help supply low income familys with basic food items like cereals, peas/beans, cheese, milk, peanut butter, and 100% juice. I like the program basically for the milk and juice because it's really expensive and this way I don't have to buy it. I really love the program but they need to get more friendly people to help run it. Especially in Leeds.

     
  • At December 8, 2005 at 10:04 AM, Blogger KSoFM said…

    sounds like a great program. it's a shame, though, that you had to deal with that woman. it seems she was completely unknowlegeable, and unsympathetic, to your schedule.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


Music Video Code provided by Music Video Zone