He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger.... he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him, but only in patient stillness while his rider mounts him; he is indeed a horse, and all other jades you may call beasts. ~William Shakespeare, Henry V

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

HORSE HOUSE CALL

I took Cassie to the park around 1:30 cause she wanted to go swinging and since we had a late breakfast she wasn't due for lunch until 2 pm. I let Cassie play and swing for about 45 minutes to an hour and then we came to my mom's house so that I could feed Cassie and start some cookies for my mom for the craft and bake sale that the Devils Lake hospital holds each year in November.

When we got to my mom's. The horses were sleeping around the water tank. I didn't think anything of it cause they sleep there all the time, the only thing that was different was that Luna (my 14 yr old mare) was laying down. As time passed I noticed that the other two horses started moving around but my mare just layed there. She would try and roll a little bit and then stretch her neck out which was very odd.

When my mom came home, about an hour after I got there, she said all the horses were standing up but when I looked out the window, Luna was laying down again and she was still rolling and stretching her neck. A few times she got up, but then layed right back down again.

My worst fear was that Luna got colic from something and since she layed down there was no way I was going to get her back up again. I called the Cando vet but she was out of the office for the day. I then called Devils Lake's vet but the vet was over at the Livestock yard all day and they gave me the Rugby vet's phone number to try them. I called Rugby and a vet could be out in about half an hour.

I went back outside and after a lot of encouragement I was able to get Luna standing back up. I walked her around for about twenty minutes and she started acting better. I took the halter off of her and she went to the water tank and took a drink and then she slowly started to eat some grass and grazed a bit with the other horses.

Since she was back up, I tried calling the vet so they wouldn't have to make a trip out for nothing but the vet had already left. The bill wasn't too bad for a house call and the vet did an exam anyway just to make sure that my horse was okay and that nothing else was wrong.

I was really worried for a while, here I thought something was seriously wrong and was going to cost me big bucks to get her better, or she was going to die or have to be put down, but it turned out pretty good.

3 Comments:

  • At October 25, 2005 at 6:22 PM, Blogger Karissa (mommy) said…

    What's colic?

     
  • At October 25, 2005 at 8:41 PM, Blogger Mr. Toast said…

    So did they find anything wrong with her?

     
  • At October 26, 2005 at 9:36 AM, Blogger Janelle said…

    Colic for a horse is like a sever stomach cramp. If the horse lays down and rolls too much, it will actually twist the intestines of the animal and kill it. Some how, a horse thinks the only way to get rid of the cramp is to roll. You have to keep the animal standing and make them walk and eventually the cramp will go away and everhting will return to normal. Since Luna was already down and rolling I thought we were screwed. Fortunately I was able to get her standing and walked her around until the vet showed up. There was nothing wrong with Luna when the vet checked her out so the vet left us with a shot of an anti-inflamitory medication just in case Luna does that again and we can't get a hold of a vet.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


Music Video Code provided by Music Video Zone