He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger.... he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him, but only in patient stillness while his rider mounts him; he is indeed a horse, and all other jades you may call beasts. ~William Shakespeare, Henry V

Thursday, October 06, 2005

FIRST SNOW OF THE YEAR AND IT'S A DAMN BLIZZARD

The power was going on/off all day but as soon as it went off, it came back on. Around 2 pm the power was out and stayed out for three hours. My dad had called me earlier to ask how the heat and everything was in our house. It was getting a little cool but Cassie was in her crib taking a nap and I covered her with some good blankets and a comforter so I wasn't too worried about her during her nap. I told dad that we may come over to his place since I wasn't sure how long the power would be out. He still had electricity and he has a wood burning fire place as a second source of heat just in case they do loose power. I don't have squat at my place for a second source, but then, not a lot of people do have a second source that doesn't depend on electricity. It was 5 pm when Cassie got up and our power had turned back on so I called my dad to let him know that we had power but we may still come over cause I didn't want to be without power during the middle of the night and the fact that Cassie and I would alone in the house during this October blizzard didn't sit well with me. Dad said that the power went off at his place so I decided that maybe Cassie and I would hang out at our place since we at least had heat. About 45 minutes after that, we lost power again. I waited about 20 minutes and then called my dad to let him know that we were coming over. However, because of all the heavy wet snow, the car was stuck in the yard and we couldn't get out. I called my dad to let him know we couldn't make it out of our yard and he came and got us with his 4x4 pickup and I am really glad he did cause the road back to his place was shit. We used the stove to heat some stuff for Cassie and there was stuff to munch all evening. Around 10:30 my dad brought the crib out from their back room and set it up in the living room for me so I didn't have to have Cassie in a cold bedroom. Cassie finally fell asleep watching the fire place from her crib around 11. Dad stayed up and kept the fire going while Cassie and I slept. Cassie was up at 8 am this morning....too early for what have going on. Around noon I called Cenex in York to see if they had power at the station and they said around 8:15 am it came on so my dad took Cassie and I to the grocery store in Leeds so I could grab a few little things and then brought us home. My dad, as of right now, is still out of power. He's going on almost 24 hours without electricity. It turns out that with all the high winds yesterday, a wire from the transformer on the electrical post in his yard was pulled out of the transformer itself and he probably won't have any power until someone can come out and fix his transformer. What a hell of a way to bring in winter. The first snowfall of the year is a blizzard that paralyzed everyone around this area of North Dakota and because we got so much, I don't know if all of it is going to melt or not. Can you imagine...we have snow now and if it doesn't melt away....we normally have snow until May, that's 7 months of frickin' snow. YUCK!!!! And when I really start to think about it, I have to try and make it through February and March with a brand new baby. What do I do if another blizzard comes through then and this happens again?!? That's going to be fun shuffling both kids between my place and my moms.

2 Comments:

  • At October 6, 2005 at 7:14 PM, Blogger Josie, group organizer said…

    yeah I thought of the 7 month thing yesterday, that would really suck,it's hard enough for me haul a newborn infant through the winter but I couldn't imagine actually having one in the dead of winter

     
  • At October 7, 2005 at 9:24 AM, Blogger Janelle said…

    I know, I am starting to freak out about the whole "birth in the middle of winter" thing myself. I am worried now that the baby will get frost bite but going from the building to the car...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


Music Video Code provided by Music Video Zone