He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger.... he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him, but only in patient stillness while his rider mounts him; he is indeed a horse, and all other jades you may call beasts. ~William Shakespeare, Henry V

Thursday, July 28, 2005

BEEN BUSY

I have been on hiatus and decided that after a week I should post and let everyone know what's up. I have been at my mom's place watching my grandmother for her while she is at work. My grandmother is getting a little forgetful and is starting to see things. The poor lady is always thinking that she is seeing trains for some strange reason. She also has diabetes and she hasn't been taking care of herself. A few weeks ago she went with one of my Aunts to visit my sister in St. Paul and while she was there she was acting weird and they treated it as low blood sugar and gave her something sweet to drink and after a few minutes she came around. Then the following week at my Aunts place my Aunts husband woke up and was going to walk into the living room when he saw my grandmother walking around and acting weird so he woke my Aunt up and she went to check on grandma and had grandma lay down on the couch while she went down stairs to check on things. While my Aunt was down stairs she heard this loud thump on the floor and asked grandma if she was alright and my grandma hollered back that she was fine. When my Aunt went back upstairs she found grandma rolling back and forth on the floor and she wasn't making any sense. She called 911 and it was low blood sugar so they started and IV and after a few minutes she was fine. Then the week after that, my aunt brought her back home because she had a doctors appointment in DL. They brought her back the evening before the appointment and the next day my Aunt went to wake up grandma for breakfast after my Aunt was done with her shower and my grandma was still in bed and was not responding to anyone so my uncle called 911. This time they couldn't get and IV in so they took her to the ER and had to have her admitted to the hospital but was discharged later that same day. They don't want to keep grandma alone cause if this happened over the weekend nobody would know about it so she has been with my mother and I have been watching her for my mother while she is at work. I make sure my grandma eats well, drinks all her fluids, and I check her blood sugar 3 times a day. So far nothing has happened while she has been with me, and I don't want anything to happen either, but I know what to do and what to give her if she if goes into another insulin reaction. I will keep posting as long as I find the time and let everyone know how things are going.

3 Comments:

  • At July 29, 2005 at 9:13 AM, Blogger KSoFM said…

    my grandparents are old and they too really need someone to care for them. it makes me really sad sometimes to think that they're losing some of their faculties, but i guess that's just how life works. still makes me sad, though.

     
  • At July 29, 2005 at 6:36 PM, Blogger BoneDaddy said…

    My grandma's got dementia. The other day she was going to call the Sheriff because she thought her purse was stolen, and it turns out she had left in on a chair in her house when she left.

     
  • At July 29, 2005 at 8:48 PM, Blogger Karissa (mommy) said…

    Part of me wishes people didn't get older because it's hard to watch sometimes. My great-grandma had to go into a nursing home last year and I absolutely hate it. It's so weird seeing her in a place that's not her house and she's in a wheel chair now when she's not in bed. She's lucky because she's basically all there mentally besides just forgetting things and repeating herself, but that's to be expected when you are 96. It's just hard knowing that she has to have people take care of her now. I'm glad your grandma is lucky and has family that's able and willing to take care of her.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


Music Video Code provided by Music Video Zone