He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger.... he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him, but only in patient stillness while his rider mounts him; he is indeed a horse, and all other jades you may call beasts. ~William Shakespeare, Henry V

Friday, January 28, 2011

DUMB IDEA

Today I made one of the dumbest decisions ever.

Since I have a lot of free-time now, I got a goofy idea in my head to shovel off the roof and clear out the ice dams. This would have been a wonderful time for procrastination to kick in, but it didn't, and I headed outside.

The extention ladder was buried way back in the garage behind some old junk and the 4 snowmobiles that belong to the family. With some ease, and a few movements that resembled a bad rendition of Swan Lake, I got the ladder out without breaking my neck.

When I got on top the roof and stood up in calf deep snow, I quickly realized what a very bad idea this was and I should just quit right away; go back down the ladder, put it back in the garage, and go back inside and maybe read a book instead. This was going to take a very long time. The snow was piled insanely high and the ice dams were a good 5 inches thick and spread out 1 foot across the roof. However, my parents didn't raise a quitter and when I put my mind to get something done I do not stop until it's finished (I'm stubborn that way), so I made myself start in on the task.

It took me roughly four and a half hours to get everything accomplished with the use of my ever-trusty transfer shovel and a big snow shovel that I borrowed from my parents house. The only thing that I wasn't able to remove was a section of ice dam about 10 ft in length on the north side of the roof. Everything else came down pretty easy, it was just very time consuming.

My back is very upset with me for deciding to go ahead with the roof cleaning. It's been screaming at me since I finished. Tonight I am going to put the girls down a little early for bed, fill the tub with super hot water, and relax in it for as long as my back wants to be there. I owe it at least that.

Tonight at the grocery store, one of the local men hung up an ad for snow/ice dam removal with roof/yard cleaning. I called him to check it out. He does the whole thing for roughly $100 depending on how bad, or how easy, the job actually is. After what I went through today, paying him the $100 next time around is more than well worth it.

But, hey, at least my roof is clean!

2 Comments:

  • At January 29, 2011 at 6:03 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Mannnn, how tall is your house. You could have wound up in the hospital or at least on America's Finniest Videos.

    It is Saturday here in Missouri and it was a wopping 68 degrees. Mother nature is really screwed up isn't she?
    kt

     
  • At February 4, 2011 at 10:02 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    It is -2 is offered as proof that Mother nature is definately screwed up! Bet you guys up there can beat that negative number by several degrees.

    Just wanted you to check out my Feb 4th Birthday blog for some for REVEALING information!
    kt

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


Music Video Code provided by Music Video Zone