He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger.... he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him, but only in patient stillness while his rider mounts him; he is indeed a horse, and all other jades you may call beasts. ~William Shakespeare, Henry V

Sunday, March 28, 2010

LAMBS

My girls have wanted to see real baby lambs for a long time. I told them I would try to find some, but I never held much hope for it, because I wasn't sure if I knew anyone who had sheep around here. A few weeks later after the girls told me they wanted to see lambs, it donned on me that David Erie, a gentleman near town, still raised sheep. I ran into him one day at the grocery story last fall and asked him about it. He said that he would give me a call when some baby lambs were born so the girls could play with them. I forgot all about speaking to him about it until he called me Friday afternoon to let me know he had 3 lambs that were a few weeks old and he would be around on Sunday if we wanted to come out and see them. So, after the girls got home today from spending the weekend with their father, we met David at the farm to see the lambs. I have to admit that they were super cute...but what baby animal isn't cute? He also had baby piglets and a bunch of younger cows that the girls got to see, along with one very hyper dog named Buddy.

The girls and I had a lot of fun visiting David and checking out all of his animals. When we were there, he didn't have any baby cows yet, but is expecting some very soon. He is going to let us know when his cows start calving so the girls can see the baby cows too.

I love spring time because of all the new baby animals that are around to check out. The girls and I love seeing all the baby horses, pigs, cats, dogs, and now even sheep and cows! The girls and I could sit with foals all day long and watch foals play, eat, and even sleep. There is something so innocent about the baby animals that makes a person feel good...at least I do anyway, and I hope that when my girls get older they will appreciate it too. Not a lot of children get to experience things that we do. I also have to thank our friends and neighbors. We wouldn't be able to do it without them!

When we were leaving Eries, the girls wanted to go see their Nana to tell her all about the baby lambs and the other animals we saw. When we got to Nana's, she was making some of her yummy homemade buns. The girls wanted to help Nana, so Nana put them to work. They love baking with Nana. I hope the girls are paying attention so they can make Nana's buns for me when they get older. I have tried to make Nana's buns myself, but they just don't turn out like hers do.

Also, last Monday, our calio cat gave birth to 4 baby kittens. I don't have very good pics of them yet. Hopefully I will get some soon when the girls are not playing with them. I swear we are going to have 4 of the most tame and well handled kittens that anyone has ever seen thanks to my girls. There are 3 white ones and one black and white spotted one. The girls want to keep the black/white one, but I don't know if I want to have two cats or not. I think 1 at a time is pretty much my limit when it comes to cats. We will see what happens when the kittens get a little bit bigger. I do, however, have a friend that already wants one. Now I just have to find homes for the remaining 2 or 3.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


Music Video Code provided by Music Video Zone