He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger.... he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him, but only in patient stillness while his rider mounts him; he is indeed a horse, and all other jades you may call beasts. ~William Shakespeare, Henry V

Thursday, March 18, 2010

I AM PISSED

I am really upset. When I was working this weekend, someone was in my yard and was messing with my horses.

I love my horses and would never intentionally hurt them. They are big yard dogs and like attention. They always come up for oats and apples when the girls and I are in the yard. The day before yesterday I noticed a drastic change in their behavior.

The girls wanted to go riding after I got off of work, so I gathered up my stuff and went out to the pasture to get one of the horses. The horses were spooky and didn't want me close to them. In fact, I couldn't get any closer than about 30 ft to them. This is odd, because they always come for attention or treats. I got some grain and put that in the feeder but they would not come up to the feeder while we were standing next to it. I tried apples next, but they wouldn't take them out of my hand, but they did eat the apples off the ground when I backed away. I also noticed that they are extremely head shy now too.

I don't know who was in my yard while I was gone, what they did, or how long they were there, but whatever they did, really messed up my horses mentally. I had one extremely great riding horse and I had just started saddle breaking the appaloosa and he was doing remarkable. Now I am going to have to start at ground zero and start training all over again with both of them.

My mother kept my girls overnight for me last night so I could try working with them a little bit. Using a little time and a lot of patience, I was able to catch my sorrel gelding. I brushed his coat and took time to comb out his mane. I also tried working with his head for a while so he would get used to it. I spent a good 3 hours working with him out in the yard. He did okay, but he wasn't himself.

I am going to call and file a police report so this can be tracked just in case it happens again or if any of the neighbors experience any behavioral problems with their animals. I know in the past, some neighbors have had issues with people coming into their yards and bothering the animals. I always felt bad, but I never truly knew how much it makes a person upset until I happened to me. If I catch who did this to my horses I will take them to court.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


Music Video Code provided by Music Video Zone