He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger.... he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him, but only in patient stillness while his rider mounts him; he is indeed a horse, and all other jades you may call beasts. ~William Shakespeare, Henry V

Saturday, August 21, 2010

FROGS

Last night the girls were catching every tree frog they found in the yard. Cassidy wanted to keep some of them. I tried talking her out of it, but she has a lot of her mother's stubbornness inside her. Once she makes up her mind about something, there is no letting go of it. So I found my old 10-gallon fish aquarium and cleaned it out. I filled it with sand and put a little bit of water in it so Cassidy and Jessie could put the frogs in it. The girls decided the tank was full when they had 8 frogs in it. When it was time to go inside and get ready for bed Cassidy asked me if we could bring the frogs inside. I thought about it, and against better judgement, I told Cassidy we could keep the tank on the kitchen floor, but if 1 frog escaped they all had to go back outside. My intention was to let the frogs go after the girls fell asleep, but Cassidy would have been devastated if I let them go without her being there to help so I left the tank on the kitchen floor and went to bed.

Around midnight the frogs started to get noisy. I mean really NOISY. They croaked, chirped, and squeaked all night long. It sounded like I was camping right next to a swamp. I was really close to chucking them all out the door when they settled down and things once again were quiet.

I love to embrace my girls childhood while it lasts. I love doing things with them that I liked to do when I was a child. Yes, catching frogs was from the past too, but I have learned that inside is no place for a herd of frogs. Next time, the frogs are going to stay outside.

1 Comments:

  • At November 2, 2010 at 11:31 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Still looking through your entries.
    You should post more often! But with school starting and the holidays coming up...I get it.
    Look who's talking I only post once a week....

    This one hits close to home on many levels.

    My grandkids and I did something similar only with newts. Not noisy but two did get out which caused my daughter to freak!

    But, oh what fun the kids and I had foraging for them, making a container for them, looking them up on the internet, and, yes even searching the kitchen for them the next day.

    outofmymindbykt.blogspot.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


Music Video Code provided by Music Video Zone