He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger.... he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him, but only in patient stillness while his rider mounts him; he is indeed a horse, and all other jades you may call beasts. ~William Shakespeare, Henry V

Saturday, May 09, 2009

COMPASSION

I read a paragraph off of a friends Facebook page today. As I was reading, I felt my heart open up and thought how wonderful the world could be if everyone was compassionate. Compassion can be a hard thing for some people, and easy for others. For myself, I realized as I was reading, this is what made a very select few of my friends the four greatest friends I will ever have, and I am very proud of those four friends. I am posting it on my blog to share with all of you. Some of you may like it. Some of you may not. To me, it definitely means something.


"Let us not underestimate how hard it is to be compassionate. Compassion is hard because it requires the inner disposition to go with others to the place where they are weak, vulnerable, lonely, and broken. But this is not our spontaneous response to suffering. What we desire most is to do away with suffering by fleeing from it or finding a quick cure for it. As busy, active, relevant ministers, we want to earn our bread by making a real contribution. This means first and foremost doing something to show that our presence makes a difference. And so we ignore our greatest gift, which is our ability to enter into solidarity with those who suffer. Those who can sit in silence with their fellowman, not knowing what to say but knowing that they should be there, can bring new life in a dying heart. Those who are not afraid to hold a hand in gratitude, to shed tears in grief and to let a sigh of distress arise straight from the heart can break through paralyzing boundaries and witness the birth of a new fellowship, the fellowship of the broken."

- Henri Nouwen



The next time you come across someone who is lonely, hurt, or in need, try thinking of what you can do to help that person. It may not take much at all. A smile and kind word could make the biggest difference at that moment. Let's try to stop the fighting, outcasting, and judging of others. It is time to live in peace and unity as one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


Music Video Code provided by Music Video Zone