He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger.... he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him, but only in patient stillness while his rider mounts him; he is indeed a horse, and all other jades you may call beasts. ~William Shakespeare, Henry V

Monday, April 17, 2006

DORIS STENSON 1927-2006

Our family got word today that my father's cousin, Doris Stenson, from Rock Lake ND passed away yesterday at her farm from a heart attack. I guess she was making a pie for Easter dinner at her place, she got a phone call and spoke with someone on the phone for a little while and then she hung up the phone and on the way back to the kitchen she fell over. The 15 yr old grandson went over to her house to get her and he was the one that found her. The grandson called his mom and said "Grandma's on the floor and she's dead" and the family raced over to the farm.

I met Doris a couple of times. She was a really nice lady who was extremely funny. She wrote the news for Rock Lake in the Benson County Farmers Press and the Cando paper. She knew a lot about the Savaloja family. You could ask her pretty much anything about the family and she could answer it. She was really cool that way when it came to family history. My parents were going to take a trip with Doris to Canada because she knew where, who would be, my fathers great grandparents are buried. The graves are unmarked and she was more or less the only one that still knew where they were. They were going to go last summer but they could never get anything scheduled. They all were kept too busy. I am hoping that someday our family is still going to be able to locate those family graves.

I really feel bad for my father. The Savaloja family really isn't all that close with each other in reality but he was close to Doris and her family. He went to Rock Lake to celebrate her birthday and got together with her last summer for a centennial up in Hansboro, ND.

Her funeral is Friday at 10:30 am in Rock Lake. My father is a paulbearer. I am going to have to find a sitter for Cassie that day. I really want to go but I am not sure if Donna (Cassie's old day care lady) will be able to take her or not and I am not too sure what Brandi is doing Friday.

GOOD BLESS YOU DORIS AND KEEP YOU IN HIS HOUSE.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


Music Video Code provided by Music Video Zone