He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger.... he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him, but only in patient stillness while his rider mounts him; he is indeed a horse, and all other jades you may call beasts. ~William Shakespeare, Henry V

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

ALMOST HIGH-SPEED

For a while I have known that I need to have a faster Internet connection than dial-up for my medical transcription internship this fall. I finally called North Dakota Telephone Company (NDTC) yesterday to get connected to Rural Advantage. Luckily, they had an opening today.

The NDTC representative showed up bright and early this morning, and worked his butt off trying to get a good signal from Egland, ND. He must have gone up and down with the boom truck at least a dozen times or better. Unfortunately, though, a good signal could not be found. Now our only option is Wild Blue.

Wild Blue is not bad, but it does cost a little more than Rural Advantage depending on what type of a package you get. It runs by a dish basically the same way DirecTV and Dish Network do. A few things I am not happy about is that Blue limits you on how much you upload/download, and if you exceed those limits then Wild Blue will slow down your internet speed. It is what they call the “Fair Advantage for all customers” in the contract information. Also, just like the TV satellite dish, there are possibilities of loosing the connection for a short period due to heavy rains, electrical storms, and heavy snow fall. They have several packages with different amounts of upload/download time. The higher the package, the more it will costs. I chose the smallest basic package that they had. It is the same price as if we would have been able to connect to Rural Advantage. If I need more upload/download space, because of my assignments I need to hand in for college, then I can always upgrade my package at anytime. It stinks, but it is our ONLY option, so I am going to have to settle for it. The rep will be back out a next Wednesday to set everything up.

On the bright side of all of this, I did find my SUM CD.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


Music Video Code provided by Music Video Zone