He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger.... he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him, but only in patient stillness while his rider mounts him; he is indeed a horse, and all other jades you may call beasts. ~William Shakespeare, Henry V

Friday, April 28, 2006

BARIUM SWALLOW

The mylanta isn't working as well as it did a week ago and Mary Anne told me this might happen. Jessie is still happy but she spits and spits and spits and sometimes she becomes fustrated when she nurses and cries so poor Jessie has been scheduled for a barium swallow on Thursday. They make Jessie drink this radio active stuff from a bottle and then they watch it go down on an x-ray and then the doctors will find out if it's truly acid reflux, if it is how bad it actually is or if it's starting to go away, or if it's something totally different all together than reflux.

I am scared and worried. I know it won't hurt her but if the barium doesn't taste good she may not take it and it bothers me to think of how they might get her to take it if she doesn't take it from the bottle and I can't let her eat for 3 to 4 hours before the procedure so she is going to be nice and crabby the drive into town, during the procedure, and then I am going to have to find a place to nurse her after it's all done.

Jessie has a well-baby visit on the 8th and we should have the results of the swallow by then. I hope that it's something that is easily solved....but I was told that liquid zantac is not cheap if that is what we have to use.

1 Comments:

  • At May 1, 2006 at 12:10 PM, Blogger Karissa (mommy) said…

    I'm pretty sure in high school that's the exact same thing I had to do. I don't remember what it's called, but I had to swallow some nasty stuff and then lay under this big machine thing while they looked at my insides.

    Honestly, I don't know how Jessie is going to drink that stuff because it is gross. Maybe they make it taste better for babies? I don't know, but they must have a way for babies to drink it because other babies must have gone through this too, right? I'll keep my fingers crossed that she'll drink it and everything will go well.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


Music Video Code provided by Music Video Zone