He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger.... he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him, but only in patient stillness while his rider mounts him; he is indeed a horse, and all other jades you may call beasts. ~William Shakespeare, Henry V

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

MONSTERS IN THE NIGHT

I have always known that at sometime Cassie would come find me or her daddy in the middle of the night because something scared her, she had a bad dream, or there are monsters or ghosts after her. I just didn't expect it to be so soon.

I was worried about Cassie waking up during the night because she didn't have a nap during the day and she did come out of her bedroom around 9:30. She crawled up on the couch, looked at me with very tired eyes and said "Mommy, monster's after me." and she gave me one of the biggest hugs I think I have ever gotten from her.

So we went around and turned on the lights, I dug through her toy box and found her flashlight that Santa left at Nana's for her and we turned the flashlight on. I told her every time she saw a monster just point her flashlight at it and it would scare the monster away and they would leave her alone.

It worked. She sat on the couch for about an hour shaking her flashlight towards my bedroom door hollering "Monster go away". She was still very tired though so I filled up her juice cup told her we would go read books in her room. She gave me a funny look and held on to the flashlight for dear life and I told her that it was perfectly OK to take the flashlight with her and she came right along behind me to bed. Cassie passed out before I could get through one book and I went to bed at 11 pm.

I am glad that the flashlight worked on getting rid of her fear of whatever scared her but at the same time I felt really bad. One thing as a mom is that when something hurts or scares your child and you can't do much about it, it breaks your heart. I almost felt really bad leaving her after she fell asleep. I was almost going to stay in there for a while just in case she woke up scared again but I knew if I did that she would want me with her all the time during the night and with the baby coming along I can't be doing that kind of stuff.

I wonder what scared her. We don't let her watch scary movies or gruesome shows. All her books are First Beginner children books. Carson and Cassie were running around the house while Brandi and I were cleaning acting like monsters, maybe that had sometime to do with it. I am just happy we were able to take care of it so easy.

....and I really blessed Santa for the flashlight that evening.

1 Comments:

  • At January 11, 2006 at 10:42 PM, Blogger April said…

    Poor little girl, nice thinking with the flashlight thing though, seems to have helped a lot. ONLY 2 MORE DAYS!!!!! We're on your call list right?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


Music Video Code provided by Music Video Zone