He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger.... he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him, but only in patient stillness while his rider mounts him; he is indeed a horse, and all other jades you may call beasts. ~William Shakespeare, Henry V

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

A LOT OF THINKING

I have started to think about the new baby and how everything is going to change dramatically and I am getting really scared. I am totally freaked out actually.

I don't feel like I am a good mother or as good of a mother that I could be for Cassidy. I try not to spank her everytime she gets into something because I want her to be able to experience things. I want her to learn through her curiosity, but I feel like I am failing there because some people think I am just letting her take control, she's becoming a spoiled brat because of it, and I should spank her every time she gets into something.

Cassie loves animals. I do have to admit though that she's too affectionate with the cat. Sometimes when she tries to hug the cat she will smother it instead and when she tries to pick the cat up and carry her around sometimes she lifts the cat by the neck but the cat is tolerant and when I tell Cassie to put Scrappy down, she does. My parents have an old cat that it grumpy and will hide under things from Cassie and Cassie will try to pet, kiss, hug, ect...the cat and it drives my dad crazy and he yells at Cassie to stop messing with the cat and doesn't want Cassie to touch his cat PERIOD.

When I take her places and she wants to do something else when I am trying to do something I let her throw her tantrums no matter how long they last and I keep doing my thing instead of spanking her right then-and-there. I am hoping that by doing this Cassie will learn that even if she throws a temper, it's not going to get her anywhere but I must be wrong because people think I should do it differently.

Then there is the whole sharing toys bit. It's really hard to get Cassie to play well. When I tell her to give a toy back or to stop what she is doing and be nice, she usually listens but there are sometimes that I have to grab her and give a toy back to someone. But this is all part of the growing up thing right?!?!

There are many many other things too like what I feed her, when I feed her, where I feed her that are judged too that had killed my confidence in thinking that I could care for a child but I obviously can't and it's going to get worse because she's just going to get older and then there will be more activities and then school too.

How can I take care of another baby when I can't take care of my toddler? It will only be worse because now instead of doing all these things with Cassie I have to still do all these things and then take care of the needs of a baby that needs 24/7 care and feedings every 2 hours. Everything I try to do to make myself feel like a good parent is wrong in someone else's eyes. It's hard to feel confident in anything when you are constantly being compared to how someone else does things.

I hate how people just assume that because I am a stay ate home mom things are easy for me. They aren't. It's difficult, one of the hardest things I have done was becoming a parent and with two it's going to get a lot worse. It's hard enough trying to keep a clean house, keep the laundry done even when I can't do it at my own house, make sure the dishes are all washed, bathrooms cleaned, toys put away, doctor appointments for me and Cassie and the baby, cook 3 meals a day, make sure that Cassie gets her nap in on schedule, groceries are bought, shopping at Wal-Mart is done, kids are bathed, I'm bathed....the list goes forever and I do it ALL BY MYSELF. I don't have any help. My husband comes home on the weekend to relax and mow the yard.

I really don't think I can do this anymore...becoming a parent for the second time...I thought I could, but I can't. I don't have a lot of physical attachment yet to the soon-to-be baby, I don't even have a name yet, and it scares me that I won't be attached to this one like I was Cassie. With Cassie, I had an attachment right after I heard the heartbeat for the first time. And because of the lack of attachment I have even gone as far as thinking about talking to Darren about adopting the child out to one of the grandparents or someone that we know.

Moving also worries me a bit. With my mom close by, it's easier when something happens cause she is always there for me. She listens, gives me advice, and helps me out when I need it. If I move, I won't have that luxury anymore and right now I feel that I need that more than ever with a new baby on the way and a terrible toddler.

I am probably just freaking out and I will feel this way until after the baby is born then I will feel differently about everything and I will be more confident again about the whole mother thing. Maybe....

9 Comments:

  • At October 20, 2005 at 12:00 AM, Blogger Karissa (mommy) said…

    Wow. You sound completely overwhelmed with everything. Am I right? :) I'm not very good at comforting people, but I'm going to try anyways.

    Basically from the little I know about you, you sound like a great mom who loves Cassidy very, very much. It drives me crazy when people criticize another parent. What's the point in doing that? Just so some idiot can make themselves feel better? I think you should just do what feels right to you, and how you think Cassidy should be raised. Everyone has a difference in opinions on things, so you'll probably never meet another person that does everything just like you.

    For example, I do not like spanking, but just because it's not my thing doesn't mean it's wrong if you do it. As long as you aren't beating her then I wouldn't have a huge problem. It's just not something I like personally.

    At the same time I agree 100% with how you handle her tantrums. Isabella has learned how to throw tantrums and now she does it several times a day over anything. I completely ignore her. I don't look at her and I just act like I can't hear or see her. I also think (and hope) that it will teach her that she's not going to get what she wants by screaming at me.

    When it comes to the whole feeling a connection with your new baby, I completely understand. The entire time I was pregnant with Isabella I didn't believe I was actually pregnant. I felt absolutely no feelings towards her except for anger and frustration. Even when she was born I felt nothing towards her. She was a stranger to me. It took me almost a month after she was born for me to finally realize that she was my daughter and I actually do love her.

    I hope you start feeling better about all this, and are able to see that you aren't a bad mom. Maybe if someone criticizes you then you could stand up for yourself and tell them to stuff it, or just walk away, or remind them that Cassidy is not their daughter.

    I really hate that you feel like shit. It drives me crazy when people make mom or dads feel like this. Like when Doug's dad asked how we are going to teach Isabella any values and morals since we aren't Christian. Well, I guess all of a sudden we turned into evil murderers or something. Just a difference of opinion I guess.

    I don't know if any of this made you feel better, and if you actually read all of it then you should pat yourself on the back. :) Who knows, maybe tomorrow you'll wake up and feel like the best mom in the world!

     
  • At October 20, 2005 at 8:43 AM, Blogger KSoFM said…

    the fact that you have these thoughts shows how conscientious you are. Karissa's right,you won't meet another person who does everything like you. i have no idea why people feel compelled to put their 2 cents in. it's my kid and i'll raise him exactly how i want to.

    i'm sorry you're so overwhelmed, but how can you not be? you manage the entire household by yourself. i've been reading your blog daily and think you're a caring, thoughtful mother. i hope you realize that.

     
  • At October 20, 2005 at 9:38 AM, Blogger Mr. Toast said…

    I feel the same way as you do a lot of the time. I hate ANYONE telling me how to raise my child. I'm a single mom so I know how you struggle on a day to day basis. I promise you will be overjoyed when that baby comes because you are a very good mother and what anyone else thinks doesn't really matter. Keep your chin up and give me a call if you want to talk.

     
  • At October 20, 2005 at 4:35 PM, Blogger Janelle said…

    Thanks guys. It makes me feel better knowing that I have support out there when I am by myself and thinking the worst. It's really great to have someone give me encouragement and kind words when I need it the most. You are all great people!

     
  • At October 20, 2005 at 4:37 PM, Blogger Janelle said…

    ...and Karissa, I actually did read your entire post, and no, I don't beat the hell out of Cassidy or anything like that. I usually don't spank her until it's the last straw and I have tried everything else.

     
  • At October 20, 2005 at 7:39 PM, Blogger Karissa (mommy) said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At October 20, 2005 at 7:40 PM, Blogger Karissa (mommy) said…

    Janelle- I can't tell by your comment if you said that because you thought I said you beat Cassidy, or if you were just pointing it out. If you thought I was being mean or something, I wasn't. I was just bringing up examples, but I don't think you beat Cassidy or that you spank her constantly or that you are a bad mom. I hope that clears things up if I didn't do a good job of explaining things before. :)

     
  • At October 20, 2005 at 8:24 PM, Blogger April said…

    I think you're a great mom! Of course she throws fits... shes a TODDLER! She is so normal, you have nothing to worry about! I've seen that you and her have a strong bond, and I know that will always be special to both of you , just like you'll have a bond with your new baby! The only reason you're not getting SOOO excited is because you know what to expect now.. you're an experienced mother.

    I know you'll love both your kids as much as humanly possible and MORE! If you ever need help, I'm a phone call away, I can help you clean, or take Cassie for a couple of hours so you can relax.. or whatever. It makes me sad that you think you're a bad mom, you're a terrific mom and everyone thinks so. Have you ever met the "perfect, well behaved kid" no, cause that kid doesn't exist.

     
  • At October 20, 2005 at 9:20 PM, Blogger Janelle said…

    Karissa, I know you didn't mean anything by your comment. It was clear. I was just making it clean that I try not to spank her if I can avoid it. I don't want people to think that I am a spank-crazy monster or something. No hard fellings at all :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


Music Video Code provided by Music Video Zone