He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger.... he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him, but only in patient stillness while his rider mounts him; he is indeed a horse, and all other jades you may call beasts. ~William Shakespeare, Henry V

Sunday, January 16, 2005

Farm Yard Pals

I had a second cousin write me an email asking to see a pic of our husky because they just got one. I posted a pic of Tucker, our 4 yr old husky. He's black and white and totally loves farm life. We used to have two, but the other one had a learning disability...really...he just couldn't learn anything and when we turned them loose to run the other husky would just take off and we would have to search for him. We found a good home for him though. We got Tucker when he was a pup from one of Darrens friends who raised huskies. He's a great farm dog, he stays in the yard when we turn him loose, and he even plays with the horses!

The horses are my absolute favorites. Luna, my big red mare, my dad bought for me when I was about 14 and she is the greatest gift he has ever given me. My dad bought her when she was a year and a half old. I was breaking her to ride for a farmer that we knew who had several horses. I fill with pride when I look at her and when I ride because I broke her and she is the best riding horse that I have and she was the best riding horse that farmer probably will have ever had....well, maybe not so for the farmer, but I like to think so :) Cholla (pronounced Choya), our leopard appaloosa, my mother bought about eight years later from the same farmer. The farmer was mad and going to sell her to the meat buyer because she wasn't pregnant one year and all he wants from her are the foals. My mom felt bad and offered the farmer money for her, I think she paid much more than a fair amount for her and now the rest of her days are peaceful. We like to call her our lawn ornament. Tango is our newest addition. He was born a day after Fathers Day of 2004. He is a nice blanket appaloosa and we hope that he grows up big because we have some plans for him.

Now Scrappy, our little tri-color, I got as a grace cause too. I was at the vet office in Cando, ND with one of my horses 3 years ago and while I was there the vet was trying to find a home for a kitten. I didn't know what the kitten looked like, but Darren and I had discussed getting a cat and I had a specific color in mind. When the vet showed me the kitten I knew she was my cat. I called Darren and asked if I could bring her home and he said that I could as long as I was responsible for any messes and the litter box. She has a bad habit of getting into trouble from time to time and she may not catch all the mice I would like her to catch but she is great with Cassidy and she is nice to have around on a quiet night.

I don't have any pictures of Scrappy yet but as soon as I get a good one I will post it for all to see.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


Music Video Code provided by Music Video Zone