He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger.... he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him, but only in patient stillness while his rider mounts him; he is indeed a horse, and all other jades you may call beasts. ~William Shakespeare, Henry V

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

NO JESSIE YET

When I got to the hospital yesterday evening for a feeding, Mary Anne (the hospital's lactation consultant) was already there and she was holding and cuddling Jessie. Mary Anne was happy to hear about the good progress we had with Jessie over the weekend when Mary Anne wasn't there. She stayed for the feeding and also told me that starting that morning, they put Jessie on a 24 calorie diet just to make sure she is getting the extra calories she needs to help maintain her weight now that she is gaining. Mary Anne doesn't think it's something that I will need to follow once we get Jessie home but I know how to give it to her if I do.

Mary Anne also informed me that they were running low on the breast milk that I had pumped for them while I was in the hospital and that I needed to bring some up. That wasn't a problem, since I have been pumping every three hours at home since I was discharged, I have 15 nine ounce bags of milk in my freezer. I picked one up on my way home and took it to my mom to have her run it down to the nursery since she had to be to work by 5 am this morning.

I got up this morning at 3:30 am to pump, one of the not-so-great things I have to do, and I decided to call the hospital and check in on Jessie.The nurse said that Jessie gained another 2 ounces!! That makes little Jessie 4 pounds and 13 ounces now. Still a little way from her birth weight of 5 pounds 7 ounces but she's getting there.

When I got up in the morning at 8:30, I called the hospital again hoping to hear that Jessie could come home but the nurse said that the doctor wants to keep her one more day.

I am starting to get fustrated and a little mad. They keep saying "in a day or two" or "maybe tomorrow" and I get excited thinking that the next morning I can bring her home. It's a real disappointment to hear the nurse in the morning saying "another day". I know better than to let myself get too excited thinking about her coming home but it's hard not too.

Since they are going to keep her one more day I am going to have to run more milk up to the hospital when I go to make sure they have enough through the night.

Tomorrow there is Baby & I and I also have my 1 week post-baby check up with my doctor. I am hoping that Jessie is discharged tomorrow so I can take her to Baby & I and also to the doctor's appointment so my doctor and the clinic nurses can see her. I have decided to leave Jessie in the care of the doctor that has been taking care of her at the time of her birth since he is familiar with everything that has been going on so if we have to take her back to the hospital for some reason, he will know what's up.

It will also be a great day for discharge too because my mom told me that she will keep Cassie over night so that I don't have to worry about her in the morning and I can get on the road right for my appointments and I can go early to get Jessie.

Here is hoping AGAIN that everything works out.

3 Comments:

  • At January 24, 2006 at 10:30 PM, Blogger April said…

    okay first, I'm very happy to hear she is getting bigger and healthier, and soon you will have your baby home where she belongs.. secondly.... ewww... breast milk in the freezer. I know, I know, it is all natural and yada yada yada... but come on.... how funny is it that you have a freezer full of boob juice! Okay not funny ha ha, but funny like "some day I'll have to do that and think it is funny"

     
  • At January 26, 2006 at 12:57 PM, Blogger Karissa (mommy) said…

    I'm just wondering how everything is going with you guys. I hope you are doing well, and Jessie is still getting bigger and bigger. :)

     
  • At January 27, 2006 at 12:17 PM, Blogger KSoFM said…

    I echo Karissa's comments. I hope Jessie is improving daily and will join you at home shortly. How are YOU feeling?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


Music Video Code provided by Music Video Zone